Monday, October 31, 2011

A Love for Food

I've always loved food but my relationship with it has not always been good. The breakfasts my dad used to cook for me when I was a kid with eggs, rice, fried potatoes and sausages, are one of my earliest memories. I come from a culture where eating is a social event. Having lunch and dinner with family and friends is part of our daily lives. 
However, in adolescence, my love for food turned into a sin. For years I've had a love-hate relationship with food but my love for it was too strong so any attempts of becoming an anorexic, luckily failed. I love eating healthy (thanks to my mom) and since I moved to LA, I've been forced to cook myself. And I love it! In fact, I've been considering if that should have been my career path. 
I not only enjoy being in the kitchen preparing a dish, experimenting with flavors and adding my own touch to the recipes I gather, but I also love the process of going grocery shopping at Whole Foods.
Lately, I've been trying new recipes. My latest favorite ones: roasted red peppers with goat cheese and linguini alle vongole. Did you know that Italians don't mix onion and garlic in the pasta sauce? Well, they don't. They use onion when cooking a sauce with meat and garlic, in sauces with seafood. That's what you learn when you surround yourself with Italians, among other things.
Another recent discovery is raw living vegetarian cuisine. Basically, the food is not cooked and the ingredients are all organic. And surprisingly, the food is delicious. My favorite dishes so far, the lasagna at LifeFood Organic and the portobello burger at Cru.



No comments:

Post a Comment